Re: [scc-dev] introductions

From: Tim Kelly <gtkelly_at_dialectronics.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2023 09:01:28 -0500

Roberto E. Vargas Caballero wrote:
> I began with scc because I couldn't find any good compiler for z80.

Thank you, Roberto and Sir Fish, this is good information. I hope
others continue with the introductions.

I work with alternative OS designs, particularly the microkernel-based
Minix 3.1.6. I am also a fan of exokernels, and I am very interested in
maximizing energy efficiency by using hybrid OS designs in multi-core
environments, where a microkernel runs the Bootstrap Processor and
exokernels run on the Application Processors (asymmetric multiprocessing
instead of symmetric processing). I like to run as close to bare metal
as possible.

I've ported Minix 3.1.6 to my own BSD-licensed custom toolchain
(pcc/yasm/shim/led/ for assembly and capstone for disassembly) and
generally have a GNU-free environment (nano is the only exception).
I've used this environment to do mathematical modeling of infectious
diseases (using the Sundials code from Lawrence Livermore Laboratories)
as well as genome comparisons (using FASTA files from the NIH's
excellent database).

http://www.dialectronics.com/Minix

I did a RISC-V32 backend to pcc,

https://marc.info/?l=pcc-commit-list&m=166923529206888&w=2

but I need to migrate to a new toolchain with more flexibility and
performance on RISC CPUs. The RISC code from QBE seems quite good out
of the box. I look forward to exploring it more deeply, as I have a
question about infinite registers vs. an infinite stack during pass2.

Currently I am working on adding full floating point support to scc and
taking the pass1 output of David M. Gay's f2c to feed into pass2 input
of scc, for a closer to bare metal F77 compiler.

tim

--
merger of state and corporate power."
	-- attributed to Benito Mussolini