Re: [scc-dev] introductions

From: Roberto E. Vargas Caballero <k0ga_at_shike2.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2023 14:33:56 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 02, 2023 at 08:14:14AM -0500, Tim Kelly wrote:
> Yes, indeed. Could you also take a moment or two to cover your areas, and
> your reasons for working with SCC? You have mentioned Z80, and I think this
> is really important to discuss. I am thinking that anyone coming to SCC is
> looking for a non-mainstream compiler and has unusual needs. Knowing what
> you are using it for might help them see if SCC is for them, too.

I began with scc because I couldn't find any good compiler for z80. The

code generated by sdcc was based in the 8051 code generator and it was
horrible. At that time I was also very involved with the suckless
community, and for a while the project was part of suckless and at that
moment is when it moved to cover more platforms. As qbe maintainer,
mpu, was also involved in suckless we decided to join efforts, ans this
is how scc began to use qbe as backend of the backend.

At this moment scc is able to compile suckless sbase (using musl instead
of the scc internal libc) and Hiltjo has used it to test his sfeed project.
I have to admit, as you already would have seen, that scc is still in
early stages of development (after many years), but it is beginning
better and better and it can be used for more projects now. I was
concentrated to be able to compile the scc libc with scc itself
because it enables me to begin to pass to the next stage of the
bootstrapping that is compiling scc with scc.

The libc (or at least parts of it) was used in Arm trusted firmware
project [1], and there is a company called Clue that is also using it
but as closed software (allowed by the license of the project). The
objective of the libc was to be as simple as possible and make it eassy
to port to anyy system, including baremetal projects (this is why Arm
and Clue used it).

Regards,

[1] https://www.trustedfirmware.org/